Wednesday, June 13, 2007

DAILY

Today was a huge day - programming wise. All the staff who work in children's worked today, I think. Today was the annual visit from Ronald McDonald. He did two shows today one at 10:00 and the other at 2:00. The kids and parents absolutely love him! His program runs about 45 minutes and deals with positive attitude and reading encouragement.


I was assigned to updating the AR reading list. I've been working continuously on it for the past couple days. It's a HUGE JOB!!!


The morning went very smooth. I worked in the Guild Room exclusively and had minor interruptions, mainly from staff. I was bracing for Shirley to join me at any moment. The staff is ready to blow as Shirley refuses to learn the computer system for the summer reading program. She leaves for surgery about the time I'm done. Just when I thought she was driving me nuts the staff has started to let their hair down a bit around me and vent. At the end of my shift today I hinted to Miss Marie that she was difficult to work with as she joined me in the room for the entire afternoon of my shift.

The trouble started when she requested a sit down job on the day Ronald came. Debbie had a sit down meeting with other department heads and the director to figure out something for her to do during her shift. Seems she's done several jobs at the library in her long tenure and the director doesn't have the fodder to fire her. I'm also thinking she doesn't have the desire to rock the boat to please younger staff as it would create huge termoil.

I felt I was the dumping ground today with Shirley. The nasely voice is bad enough but when she asks you to look at her when SHE's talking so SHE can see you listening to her dumb stories and mumblings its really bad. Several times I had to stop what I was doing and look her in the face. Today was a major test of my patience.

No comments: