Saturday, June 9, 2007

DAILY

I helped with prizes today in childrens. I also helped shelve.

I came in early today as my golf banquet was tonight. This was one of the shortest shifts of summer.

The library is big on using Access Databases. I've not much experience with Access however I'd like to learn. In the afternoon when things slowed down I asked Debbie if there's a project she wanted / needed help on. We have 4 elementaries, each with their own list of Accelerated Reader Books. The library has a running database of books that are on each schools list. However...recently the points and levels of AR books have changed and Debbie wants her list updated by school with the new "corrected points". Here's where I enter in...

A volunteer had gone through our largest elementary collection and noted on paper (74 pages worth) new point totals. My job was to update the individual records in the database. This was a slow and very repititive process. However each step of the way I had to check if this title existed exclusively in that buildings collection. Basically I had to make a new record and update the proper points for each. I worked on this till closing time only getting through the G's.

No comments: