Thursday, June 14, 2007

DAILY

I started tonight in Children's however Linda, one of my favorite people pulled me down to the computer room. She needed a couple questions answered regarding a blog / wiki / Google group. Basically she wants something virtual that staff can use as a sounding board / discussion board / notification area. The need for this came about from our Sunday planning meeting. I was happy to see the director and staff attempting to work with, on, forward, etc...

I explained the differences between blogs and wikis and what they're good for. She'd already created a Google group. I learned after she showed me her setup that the Google groups are essentially wikis; COOL!


I then helped her troubleshoot some HTML coding on the library website. I wish I could help redesign it. Doesn't look like I'd have the time to do so as I've only got 7 more days. I wish I could work on Debbie's database and the webpage exclusively for the remaining time.


After working with Linda I started up once again on the database. After about 40 minutes I was pulled in to help with a massive amount of book returns. One family brought in their haul; they have 14 kids!!! The books came in boxes and were primarily Non-Fiction (new books). There were dirty too. I couldn't believe the volume of stuff one family would check out.

Miss Marie the head of the children's department requires we wipe down the books...all of them! What a chore considering the volume of intake. I've noticed the book cleaner causes my eyes to react. Not sure what chemicals they put in however I seem to get an allergic reaction in one eye each night I do heavy shelving and book handling. I wish I worked in the adult area where book cleaning isn't required.


I spent the remainder of the night shelving the massive amount of stuff...UGH...not the way I wanted to end the evening. I very briefly got back to the reading database prior to close. I've got 70 some pages remaining. I think looking up call numbers first then going through, as Debbie suggested, will be the fastest method.

No comments: