Monday, June 18, 2007

WEEKLY REFLECTION

Saturday's are the best day to work. The morning starts out slow and casually builds to a crescendo around lunch time. Working a full shift I'm able to take off for an hour during the busy time frame. The afternoon (being summer) dies till closing time at 5:30. The fact PPL isn't open on Sunday is great too as I don't have to be back in till Monday evening. This week has been a long one! I'm really ready to be done!!! I feel I've fulfilled my requirement of this internship! I've affirmed my loathing for elementary level work. There's a reason I'm at the high school level.

I'm really tired of shelving books. I've shelved more in the last 48 hours than I've done in two years of work at my school library.

I really appreciate Diana bringing in coffee cake and coffee on Saturday. That's part of the reason I've enjoyed those mornings too. She opened up a bit on Saturday as we worked side by side in the Guild Room on the list. We talked about Shirley and other general things. I had a nice conversation with Susie (director) this week about Shirley which made me more at ease talking with staff about her "lack of" issues.

I'm realizing this staff is full of single / widowed people. Young underachievers who haven't done much with themselves and very old folks who've done...well I'm not sure with their life. Not very many people are dynamic and driving the future of the place. There are a few follks and its those few bedrock people who are very very conservative and religious. I'm not sure if all people hold my same opinions however its those few people who drive this place to excel too. I just wonder if people worry about things being too right-wing or not. Maybe some liberal folks need to be employed or put in positions of power. Maybe this is just the general public library characteristics.

No comments: