Thursday, June 21, 2007

DAILY

Today was day three of the site design. I did some work this morning before my shift to soften the contrast of the background. I adjusted the width of the main table to fit 800x600 displays too. Cranking it down to 760 pixels wide.

I did some real technical coding tonight to get the mashups to work. My mashups were two search mechanisms - WorldCat and Google. I created a custom Google search for our website domain. This was done after Linda left for the day. Before she left I asked about doing a Google search link; she didn't think it was important. After exploring it a bit I was able to create a search of the "...plymouth.lib.in.us" domain. The code was really tricky to work with and I encountered 4 failed attempts before I got it working correctly. The WorldCat code was much easier. Essentially patrons can search the entire website / domain for something if they can't find it on the homepage.

All in all I was really pleased at the outcome. I really banked on the coding experience from L571 last semester. I impressed myself as I was able to internalize everything on their "soon to be" homepage.

I tried out my piece on two of the younger staff people to get their immediate reactions. They both liked it! I even showed my page to Miss Marie...she was even impressed! Albeit her skills are very limited :)

I'm not sure when Linda will make the big switch over. There's tons of work to be done on the subpages. With tomorrow my last day I'm not sure how much of it I'll be able to accomplish.

No comments: