Monday, June 11, 2007

DAILY

Today seemed like a long day! Maybe because its a Monday? I worked my 9-3 shift at school and as I type I'm concluding my 4-9 shift at PPL. I'm looking ahead to the next two weeks and thinking I'm doing this routine for how many more days??? I swear my summer will be gone and I'll feel cheated! It's time I'll never get back!

I helped shelve books tonight to start my shift in YA. I feel more comfortable over in that room because some of my books are on the shelves there and I feel a bit more in my element. Having attended the meeting yesterday I was grounded a bit or made to realize how different the two settings really are. It's made me realize some differences both positive and negative.

Debbie was working the end of her day's shift and I asked her if there was more work to be done on the AR lists...duh!!! She put me back on the large Menominee school list. This updating of the database thing is perpetual and never ending. I swear I could sit at the PC for days upon days and tweak things in the database. Debbie seems willing to take on such a task just for alignment sake. It's a good thing she does however its a major effort / burden to be aligned. Especially since PPL doesn't have the software the school uses and can't import things electronically. PPL is forced to create their own electronic record keeping system for the quiz lists for the 4 elementary schools. I'm just part of the grunt work keeping things updated.

After a solid hour of work I needed a respite. I started shelving for the children's department ladies; which has become my staple duty and home. Non-fiction is the hardest and most time consuming even though you know where the stuff goes.

I enjoy / get along with Lois. The classic librarian grandma - bake the cookies - babysit etc. I'm finding it harder and harder to get along with Shirley who's hard of hearing, uses a cane, and has numerous other physical issues. Her nasaly voice combined with her inability to hear you speak only magnifies the issue. Her insistance on showing me how to do trival things like folding towels and how to properly spray book cleaner is a test of my patience. I hope my days with her are very limited from here on out!! To make matters worse the staff has begun to complain to me about her inabilities and general "lack of".

No comments: