Saturday, June 9, 2007

DAILY

Today was my first full day shift. After about two hours of being around I began to see how the "full timers" operate. I noticed everyone was around and things were buzzing. This was day three of the reading program; utilizing the new online software and database. Miss Marie the head of the children's department continues to complain and wine about the technological aspect being so so so difficult. However she sings its praises minutes later when she helps a kid look up their reading log and see what prizes they have earned.

I helped shelve for about 40 minutes and then began working with Debbie. At the directors request she showed me her process of ordering through Baker and Taylor online. She shared with me the ins and outs of the website she uses and the many features at her disposal to build, place, and track her orders. As a result of this discussion she also showed me her system for tracking what items (books) she's ordered; when ordered, if arrived, status, etc...

I'm not used to leaving work for a true "lunch hour". However mine rolled around about 12:45. It was nice to be able to leave the building, something I rarely have time for in my school position.

The remainder of the afternoon was working in the children's department doing shelving.

No comments: