Saturday, June 9, 2007

DAILY

Today was my first evening shift after working summer school at PHS. My first order of business was discussing and ironing out my schedule with the Susie the director. She was adamant about my attendance on Wednesday's for programming; which I agreed. Next I had to call folks to help me cover my Wednesday hours at school in the afternoon.

Being frustrated with the day and scheduling and re-scheduling I was more than happy to work the shelves for the night. I shelved books the entire shift.

I'm still struggling and getting used to the small collections strew throughout the children's room. I sometimes wonder if they are worth it. I suppose they are when you have someone coming in for a specific type of genre. Coming from a school setting with high school students the employment of sub-sections is a waste of time in my opinion.

My Monday co-workers were the same two older gals that I've worked with before. One of which I finally figured out has a hearing problem. In my dealings with her prior she seemed pleasant yet lacking in social cues bordering on curt at times. I really noticed it this evening when a patron got upset with her ignoring an ask for help. When the patron complained loudly to the other gal working with us about her "attitude" and "snobbiness" I began to feel validated a bit. Later in the evening my suspicions were founded when she asked me to look at her when speaking. I could then tell she has to read lips to interpret fully. I still don't know her handicap and feel a bit uncomfortable asking.

Tonight was an uneventful evening - shelving and then some. I went home tired, pissed off, and still upset about my schedule. All my hardwork and now I'm losing $$.

No comments: