Monday, June 11, 2007

WEEKLY REFLECTION

Yesterday was our staff meeting to discuss future planning. I was interested and intrigued to attend as I've yet to see the entire staff gathered together. I was hoping this would give me a feeling of the overall mood and camaraderie of the building and gain a feel for what ills other areas of the library. I also thought of this as a chance to sort of interview the staff and see if this was a potential career (part-time or full-time) for me. Leaving the meeting and riding home I had several conclusions:
  • The public system employs old folks who have limited skills. Sometimes internal systems of management are designed to accommodate those, instead of cater to patron needs.

  • The public system unlike schools can employ folks who aren't certified and place those people in power positions. Oftentimes these folks have little schooling beyond high school.

  • Some of my former students work here, live at home, don't have plans to get further education, and seem depressed and / or hardened by their situation in life.

  • Odd personalities abound! Odd folks seem staggered, almost strategically, throughout the building. Hmm...am I noticing management involvement :)

  • Our director is truly the glue of the place and her charisma is the thing that makes everything function and GO! I can easily see why people in this building find her WONDERFUL to work for. I would agree 100%!

  • A school library has less distracting issues (from the overall "goal") than the public sector.

  • The public sector must attempt to please and entertain all ages.

The facilitator did a GREAT job mixing and mashing the groups and keeping things on track. I found myself in a couple awkward groups. Afterwords I was relieved for the evening to be over as I felt way way way out of my element at times. I was able to contribute to each of the activities however the feeling of an outsider loomed large. Also the amount of grandmotherly menopausal estrogen in the room was asphyxiating at times for me a younger male. Also I cringed at times when my education was superior to issues raised by co-workers. The generation gap coupled with their inept skills with and or accepting of technology was tough to listen to and sympathize with. My perspective as a male were quite different than several of the females working in the building. The gender difference was by far the most difficult aspect for me to handle in a meeting such as this, in the setting, and on their "turf". I did my best to avoid controversy and attempted to charm all I came into contact with.


I wonder from their perspective if I'm threatening. Here I'm from the opposite sex, quite younger, keen user of technology, and they're thinking...I'm here as part of earning a degree to possibly be a director or library administrator...I'm sure thoughts were running through several minds.

No comments: